Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Race and Bronze Theory, and SEA Performing Arts

---js228 wrote:

> Dear Khun Zulki,
> I just had a time to read your article about
> Langasuka in full. Excellent
> work!!! I really enjoy that though
> I have a different theory concerning Srivijaya as
> the federation of the
> nautical princely city-states in
> Java, Sumatra and mainland Southeast Asia.
> Well...after reading several claims I tend to
> believe that there were no real
> centre of power in this
> region, but many city-states that were tied togeter
> by trades and family
> connection. Jayavarman II of
> Angor was the Sailendra from Java. The legend from
> the present day south of
> Thailand tells the story of
> a prince who arrived in Patani whose son found the
> city of U-Thong in Chao
> Praya river basin. The
> present Thai language itself (though the royal thai
> academy love to associate
> it with Tai-Kadai) is a
> creole language, which is a combination of different
> languages including
> Javanese & Malay. I myself am
> a descendant of Sultan Sulaiman of Singora who was
> of Persian stock from Java.
> Therefore, I strongly believe in the importance of
> transmigration and
> interactions between cultural
> group in the process of cultural formation of
> Southeast Asia. I have found the
> 'Race Theory' in the
> exisiting tradition of historical writing
> unstatisfactory and misleading. They
> create more conflict than
> understanding of how we became the way we are and
> how we want to be in the
> future.
> At the moment I am reading the history of Southeast
> Asian performing arts
> through the
> interpretation of bronze drums from Dongson Culture.
> Your account of
> Mayong/Manora and Naga is
> very useful as it helps me to be able to link many
> thing together. I will send
> a copy to you when I finish
> writing. I feel
> that you are one of a handful
> people I could discuss thing Southeast Asian with.
> Regards,
> Golf
>
> Jirayudh SINTHUPHAN

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like your blog. I will always visit here..

I have a make money on the internet site. It pretty much covers make money on the internet related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Anonymous said...

Blog network folds
Recently announced blogging network Webby Media has folded prior to launching. In a post titled " Too Much, Too Fast? " Omar Al-Hajjar states: Here is why: 1. No barriers to entry.
Find out how you can buy and sell anything, like things related to music on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like music!